|Maximum Reachable Height||Up to 30 m|
|Flower Colour||the white flower is seen inside the coconut when broken(it is seen rarely)|
|Bloom Time||May to June.|
|Difficulty Level||Easy to grow.|
Planting And Care
First, water the coconut tree frequently. As long as the soil drains well, you really can’t water it too often.
If you decide to repot your coconut tree, remember to add sand or vermiculite to the new soil to keep the water draining well.
Second, growing coconut palms are heavy feeders that require regular, complete fertilizer.
Look for a fertilizer that provides both the basic nutrients plus trace nutrients like boron, manganese, and magnesium.
Third, coconut palms are very cold sensitive.
If you live in an area that gets cold, your coconut plant will need to come inside for the winter.
Provide supplemental light and keep it away from drafts.
In the summer, grow it outdoors and make sure you place it in a very sunny and warm spot.
To start to grow a coconut plant, begin with a fresh coconut that still has the husk on it. When you shake it, it still should sound like it has water in it. Soak it in water for two to three days. After the coconut has soaked, place it in a container filled with well-draining potting soil.
|Watering||From May to September, the palm should be abundantly watered, however without drowning the plant. From October, the amount of water can be slightly reduced.|
|Soil||Well-drained soil. The soil should be sandy-loamy and alkaline which is the beach/cayes environment.|
|Temperature||21 C and above|
|Fertilizer||Starting in spring, the coconut palm should be fertilized with liquid fertilizer.|
- As most of us already know, the most common uses come from the edible fruits known as coconuts
- Coconuts can be eaten either raw or cooked and they are rich in vitamins, minerals, and powerful antioxidants
- The white flesh of the fruit needs to be separated from the outer hard shell and you may use a coconut scraper to grate the fruit or use a coconut meat removal knife to separate the flesh, after opening the shell
- The freshly grated coconuts can be easily added to your recipes or you can store them in the refrigerator for few days
- Coconut milk is also very popular and it is widely used in many Asian cuisines, especially in South India, Sri Lanka, and Thailand
- It is usually used to thicken soups and stews and you can also use it as a substitute for milk
- Coconut water is different from the coconut milk
- When you break the hard shell of coconut to open it, the fruit has mildly sweet water inside which is known for its extreme health benefits
- This is a wonderful natural drink and it is very popular during the summer season